Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY Lace Crown


Want to know an easy DIY project that adds instant elegance to an outfit? Try a lace crown! I spent only eight dollars to make this one. Here's how! (Sorry in advance that the pictures aren't very good; my camera sucks indoors.)



WHAT YOU NEED:
  • Wax Paper
  • Paintbrush
  • Mod Podge
  • About 12-15 inches of lace (flat on one side, ridged on the other.)
  • Glitter
  • Hot glue
WHAT TO DO:

  1. Wrap the lace around your head to see how much you will need for your crown. Plus add about an inch more as you will be overlapping the ends when you glue the ends of the crown together. I think they are prettiest when they just sit on top of your head like a true crown, not completely wrapped around like a headband. Cut the amount you are going to use based on this measurement. I used Simplicity brand Flat Venice Lace.
  2. Lay the lace across a piece of wax paper protecting your work area. This prevents the lace from sticking to the surface it's going to be drying on.
  3.  Use your paintbrush to start painting the lace with the Mod Podge. Make sure it is really saturating the lace fabric, otherwise it won't stiffen and you'll have a floppy crown. (Side note: Did you know that Mod Podge makes a glitter formula!? Too awesome. It's called Mod Podge Sparkle. I saw it and thought it would be perfect for this craft! However, you can use any type of Mod Podge you like. They have satin finish, matte, metallic, and many others!)


4. Once you have painted the entire length of the lace, let it dry for about twenty minutes. Turn it over and paint the other side. Let it dry again.
5. Repeat! (After it dries, this is the point where you can paint it. A silver or gold metallic would look lovely. I like the white lace so I left it and added sparkles instead!)
6. Before the Mod Podge becomes tacky, start applying glitter. I just used the paintbrush to scoop it up and paint it on! Only paint one side of the crown, the other side will not be visible when you wear it! (Plus you'll get a bunch of glitter in your hair.)


7. Let the crown dry for twenty-four hours.
8. Use a hot glue gun to glue the edges together. Let dry for five to ten minutes.
9. You're done! Go out and wear your crown like the beautiful princess you already know you are!
Lace crown made by me and modeled by my lovely sister!
That was easy, right? I think my next one might be pink, maybe with some rhinestones glued on! Please leave me comments and pictures if you have tried this project, and let me know how yours turns out! :)

xxo, 
Sugar


1 comment: